Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Ready for the season to start!

So I had my meetings with the Director of Coaching and then the Team Meeting. The DOC is a great guy. He's a former goalkeeper who has really taken South Lyon to new heights under his tutelage. He'll be a great guy to learn from and has been really helpful. That's been reassuring because sometimes soccer can be so political and, especially because it's not the most popular sport in the US, people in positions of power in their club can abuse that power. Not this guy--he's given me information on what drills these kids like, how to effectively get across my message to them, and even how to deal with some of the parents!

The Team Meeting also went great. I thought more of the players were going to be there, but so far I have only met two players. They both seem excited for the season to start. I asked them what positions they liked to play and they both told me they like to play forward--I guess that's typical with kids. Hopefully that means we'll have a lot of goals this Fall!

I'm meeting with my team manager--a player's mother-- and another club official tomorrow. There, we'll discuss our upcoming tournament, practice schedules and locations, and other things I should know about managing the team. I'll post another update after that. Things are finally moving and we have our first practice August 14th, so needless to say I'm really excited about that. It will be great to be back out on the field and to re-experience what it's like to fall in love with the game at a young age.

No comments:

Post a Comment