Monday, August 13, 2012

Pre-season update

Well folks, our first practice is tomorrow and to say I am excited is a ridiculous understatement. I've seen a few of my players at the club's "Street Soccer" sessions, and I've been pleased with what I've seen. The kids are coachable, enjoy playing, and want to be better. I've only met three of the players so far, but I'm excited to meet the rest and see what we've got.

I've learned a bit more about the U9 age level. It is still difficult for me to gauge how good a player is when he is not playing with other U9 players, but I am starting to understand the skills typical of the age. I've also learned that the kids have pretty short attention spans when it comes to coaching--it's important to keep my coaching tips short and sweet.

I'll post an update after tomorrow's practice, but I anticipate doing a bit of getting to know the team and seeing what they've got. Tomorrow should be a fun practice for the kids (lots of scrimmaging) and for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment