Sunday, June 17, 2012

Obtaining license

As I stated in the Introduction, I am currently in the process of obtaining my coaching license. In Michigan, that means doing an online coaching manual, and then attending courses corresponding with the category license you wish. So, for example, I have completed the online coaching module, and passed my background check; my next step is to start with the E license. Therefore, I will need to attend an E coaching class to obtain my E license. After that, I can get my D license, etc.

It used to be that if one had extensive playing experience, the State would waive the E license requirement. However, they've recently discovered that playing experience doesn't teach you other things necessary for coaching youth soccer--like how to deal with youth players. The E license, from what I understand, focuses on teaching the fundamentals of the sport, including things such as how long practices should run, basic first aid, etc.

I was unable to take any of the summer E license courses, but plan to obtain my E license this Fall. From there, I will obtain my D license, which is where you can really begin to coach at a competitive youth level. I'll be sure to update you all on the process and answer questions if you are interested in obtaining your own coaching license once I learn more.

That's all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment