Sunday, June 17, 2012

Introduction

So this is my new blog. Hopefully I can maintain this one better than a few of my previous attempts to document my thoughts online. However, I have never blogged about something I am so passionate about, so hopefully this new topic will allow me to keep frequent updates.

I'd like to welcome everyone to Total Soccer Coach. The title comes from my soccer philosophy that I've developed after over 20 years of playing the sport--Total Soccer. Total Soccer was pioneered by Johan Cruijff (a.k.a. Cruyff) and is basically the way Barcelona plays today. Total Soccer is a free flowing, creative style that allows for all ten field players to be attack-minded. Traditional Total Soccer ("TS") formations are 4-3-3 and 3-4-3.

The idea for this blog comes from my current situation. I am in the process of obtaining my coaching license so I can begin my lifelong dream of coaching youth soccer. I am seeking coaching openings in Southeast Michigan, and would like to coach at a competitive level. Between my playing experience and my ability to teach things I enjoy, I think I can get a lot done with youth soccer.

I am also conscious of the fact that my tactical philosophy may very well change depending on the players available to me, the way my coaching allows players to develop, and other things. I grew up playing for teams that employed 4-4-2, 4-2-1-2, 4-3-3, and 3-5-2 formations.

Based on my experience, it is difficult to play with three defenders in today's game. It puts a lot of pressure on outside midfielders, and, in my opinion, decreases the amount of creativity in the midfield. However, I don't think that teams should overcompensate by playing a flat four defense and relying on the attacking six to maintain possession and create the attacking chances.

I plan to focus on the 4-3-3 formation, where one of the defenders doubles as a defensive midfielder, and the three midfielders' shape will be altered depending on which defender is most attack-minded. For example, a 4-3-3 can easily attack similar to a standard 3-4-3 if one of the center backs is the attack-minded one. Plays can start through the middle, and wingers can maintain width to stretch the defense. However, if the outside backs are the ones who are attack-minded, as is usually the case, beginning an attack out of a 4-3-3 allows you to keep three defenders back and leaves your team less susceptible to the counter-attack. This would likely mean that attacks would start on the flanks, rather than through the middle, and one of the midfielders would have to understand his defensive role.

I am excited to see how my ideas pan out and how my notions of proper soccer will change moving forward. Check back in and feel free to chime in on any ideas you might have.


No comments:

Post a Comment