Sunday, January 27, 2013

Overdue updates

Wow...I've completely forgotten to update this blog! But that's not because nothing has been happening in my coaching career. On the contrary, things are pretty exciting lately.

After getting my E license, I began to implement the US Soccer curriculum more strictly in my own practices. I saw a lot of improvement with my team, but then winter happened.

For those of you who aren't aware, winter in Michigan sucks. We have struggled to find consistent indoor training facilities, and have only been able to practice sporadically. That has stunted our growth and development a bit, but we're still improving.

We finished our first Winter session in third place in our division. We dropped several points by settling for ties when we could have gotten wins, but I'm proud of the results given the fact that we don't have many subs. Most games I only have two or three subs to work with, and there's only so much you can ask of a 9 year-old's tired legs.

So far in 2013, exciting things are happening. I just finished coaching at a Michigan Olympic Development Program (ODP) training session where I networked with several of the area's top coaches. Since then, I was offered (and I accepted) a staff position with Michigan ODP. I'll be involved in ODP 101, which is geared towards the younger players-- 9 and 10 year-olds-- and is meant to provide additional technical instruction to the state's top young players.

Between my Lyon FC team and ODP, I am gaining a lot of coaching experience and making great connections. We'll see where this takes me moving forward, but it's an exciting time in my coaching career right now.

I'll be sure to update the blog more regularly, especially to recap practices and discuss my thoughts on how to improve the team and myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment